Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jam substitute and shopping excursion!

Donald always makes fun of me because I literally eat eggs and toast like 3-4 times a week! I love eggs! When I need some protein after working out or just don't feel like cooking much, this is what I eat. Well.. I was eating jam on my toast which has tons of sugar but I hate sugar free jam or jelly! I was watching Dr Oz and he suggested slicing up fruit and putting that on for PB and J sandwiches or toast instead of jam. I tried it last night, and I have to tell you... I LOVED IT!! I buy frozen fruit for my shakes and so I just defrosted a few, crushed them up and spread it like jam! It was Delish! And the sugar in it was all natural! That is definetly my new jam-fresh fruit with no added sugar!





Also... I went shopping last night with my Jillian book in hand. She says to read the labels and see how much hidden sugar and fake ingredients are in EVERYTHING! I really want to try her way of eating because she talks about PCOS-which I have, and it scared me a little about how much sugar and added hormones we consume that will make my PCOS worse or could lead to other major issues. So I had the time lsat night to read all my labels, and it was AMAZING what they put sugar(or high fructose corn syrup or cor sytrup, glucose, fruit juice, etc) in! Did you know they put high fructose corn syrup in some cans of beans?!? WHAT! I was shocked! Anyways... so I took the time and really read the labels and chose the best foods! Mostly organic, fresh and natural. One thing I can't find too much of is no hormone added milk products. we don't have a lot to choose from here but i will have to go check out the other local stores. She said that alone can get rid of some of the acne!




Anyways... read your labels! Holy cow, you will be amazed! NO wonder Americans are overweight and have diabetes problems-including me and donald! This has opened my eyes to what we put in our bodies and how it affects us!
Donald told me a couple weeks ago, that he sometimes doesn't like my "holistic" things I am adding into our lives, but the more we learn about it, the more we want to try to do better!! ANd he will even admit he even like my "holistic" aka health foods and that he is feeling a lot better also!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Melissa - thanks for the great recommendation for Jillian's book. I am going to check it out of the library this week. I'll let you know what I think. Can I just say I am super excited to try the crushed fruit on toast!!!

Liz said...

Isn't it amazing what is hidden in your food? So crazy. The fresh fruit on toast sounds great!
I love eggs, too. But since I've been cutting down on fats I am trying not to eat as many- then a friend recommended Egg Beaters and I have always thought it would be so gross- but it isn't! You should try them if you haven't. 1/4 cup of egg beaters (which is really just egg whites with seasoning) is only 30 calories and no fat. Scramble it up, eat with toast- I like it!
Also, did you know Walmart only stocks rBST free milk now? So buy your milk there! (Or better yet, have Donald buy it for you!) :) Safeway does too, if you have a Safeway.